Calgary Masters Swim Meet – Nov 13, 2016
We all entered this meet very last minute and had a blast! It was totally worth the last minute scramble. It truly was an all ability, all ages, good old fashioned swim meet. If you don’t know what that means, don’t worry about it! Just come out to the next one at the Foothills Pool on Jan 21, 2017.
Take your mark!
A few need to knows:
- Bring 2 towels and a shammy. Wet towels are not effective!
- Bring a yoga mat or cushion – you spend lots of time on your bum in the stands.
- Wear comfy, warm clothes for in between events.
- Bring food! The meets last at least 5 hours – an apple and bottle of water is NOT enough! Rob M had the right idea with his Tupperware picnic. (See photo below)
- Warm –up is an hour before the first event but you don’t need to swim that long or arrive right at the start of warm-up. 15-30 minutes of warm-up swimming is plenty.
- Practice a start off the block. Blocks are different from pool to pool.
- Have a copy of the heat sheets with you and pay attention to the flow of the meet. We all learned that 25 and 50 meter races move through heats very quickly! Go up to the blocks early to lessen the likelihood of missing your race.
- Masters swimmers are a friendly, welcoming bunch. When behind the blocks waiting for your heat, take the time to chat with other swimmers. You might have a 65-year-old male to your right and a 25-year-old female to your left each with an interesting story about how they arrived at masters swimming.
“Sometimes a Clif bar just won’t cut it, and a slice of smoked applewood cheddar will” (KT)
Things I noted that we all need to work on as swimmers:
- No breathing in and out of the flags
- Starts and turns! (note: you can start in the water – diving not required)
- Cooling down after hard efforts. Once your limbs are loaded with lactic acid an easy post-race cool-down swim is a great idea.
Some LYNX participant comments about their experience:
The experience? Awesome…just awesome. It’s been a long time since being in a group where everyone encourages and cheers for each other. Feels good to be part of a pack and to have that quick competitive spurt. It was especially cool to share in some people’s first swim meet experience! The meet was well run and a lot of fun. ~KT
I had a blast, camaraderie and laughing was the best part. Everyone was so supportive; it was great team building. ~KS
Speedy swimming runs in the family!
Mark your calendars for the next masters meet on
January 21 @ the Foothills pool
Hope to see you there. Coach Mary
For more information regarding masters swimming and /or LYNX group swim sessions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org