I hope everyone is having a terrific July!
This weekend was the “Across the Lake Swim” in Kelowna. Several LYNX athletes were among the 1173 participants taking part in this 2100m swim. I had no idea this event was so well attended. For those who are interested in checking it out you can find details here: Across the Lake Swim
Once again, I heard about several group rides, runs and bricks over the weekend. I love hearing about you all connecting with others and training. As I’ve mentioned before – scheduling sessions with others is great because you add a layer of accountability and get to connect socially making the whole experience way more fun. 😀
One group had a particularly eventful ride this morning including this:
This rider had multiple opportunities to change and patch his tire, another rider accidentally left his water bottles at home and along with a couple other riders, they actually got turned around and ended up heading towards the airport instead of being on the Calgary 70.3 bike course. BUT, I’m sure many laughs were shared along the way…or later. And, this brings me to the thought of the week:
“In doing we learn” (George Herbert)
Many things were learned this wkd…
1. Know your course. This applies to training rides and race courses too. It’s important to always know where you are going. Most race courses are marked but sometimes signage is moved or fellow racers go the wrong way and you need to know the right way rather than blindly following the leader.
2. Be prepared when things don’t go as planned. Fortunately, these guys knew how to deal with their mechanicals and were prepared to do so. But, it’s also important to additional support available in case you encounter a problem you can’t handle on your own. Always carry your phone and some $ on rides just in case you need a pick up.
3. We have all forgotten nutrition or water for a training session or possibly even a race. The good news is, you usually only make this mistake once and then you put a system in place so that it never happens again. I have left my gel flask in the fridge on race morning. Now, my race plan involves a written note on my kitchen counter along with my keys reminding myself to get my gel flask and water bottles out of the fridge. I’ve also forgotten key pieces of gear before for training sessions – like bike shoes for a ride or a swim suit for a swim. Now my shoes are kept in a “bike bag” in my garage with my bike and I keep an extra swim suit in my swim bag.
Yes, in doing we learn!
1. Open Water Swim this week 7-8pm. Remember to register for a spot on this website under the “Events” tab. Registered swimmers will receive a calendar notice confirming location and time of the swim. If you have any trouble signing up online please shoot me a note and I will help you.
2. Calgary 70.3 is this Sunday!!!
3. Ironman Canada (Whistler) is the following Sunday – July 30th!
Good luck to everyone racing in these events!
Food for thought…in 2018 I want to put together some LYNX relays for a couple of endurance open water swim events. No, we won’t be starting with the English Channel! But, I’m looking into a few events that look quite interesting and FUN! I think the ideal event will be 10-20k and will allow relays of 2-3 people and will be supported. If you having any interest in being on a relay as a swimmer or as boat support send an email via the “contact us” tab.