Swim Smooth philosophy:
Swim instruction should not be “one size fits all”. Your ideal stroke technique is different from another person’s.
Coach Mary identifies your individual needs and determines how best to develop and improve your stroke to suit you.
Swim Smooth is an innovative swim coaching company devoted to all levels of swimmers and triathletes. As a Certified Swim Smooth Coach, Mary is highly trained and has been personally mentored by Swim Smooth founder Paul Newsome in an approach to help you improve your swimming specific to your shape, build and even personality. Whether you’re a beginner who’d like to learn freestyle, an intermediate triathlete who wants to develop their stroke technique or an advanced swimmer looking to excel further, Coach Mary can use her extensive understanding of the Swim Smooth method to help you accomplish your goals.
Within LYNX Triathlon, there are weekly squad sessions that cover all your training needs for any freestyle event – short or long, in the pool or in open water. In addition, Coach Mary offers premium 1-2-1 Video Analysis and Stroke Correction Sessions for those requiring a little extra attention for their stroke technique.
If you want the highest quality swim coaching available, and are serious about improving your enjoyment and swimming efficiency unique to your goals, then contact Coach Mary – the only Swim Smooth Certified Coach in Western Canada!
- Mount Royal University (MRU)
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT)
- Fall sessions resume on September 10, 2018!
Squad Pricing (Includes Facility Access)
- Term pricing guarantees your spot each week: Click for Fall 2018 schedule and pricing
- Drop in (60 min swim): $20 + GST (try out a class when there is space)
- Drop in (90 min swim): $30 + GST (try out a Red Mist session when there is space)
Types of Swim Sessions Run Weekly
- Pure Technique: The emphasis here is on drill and technique work with plenty of recovery and tips on how to refine your individual stroke. You can expect feedback during these sessions on how to properly perform the drills and also receive tips on your stroke.
- CSS Development: If you want to improve your speed and pacing skills in distances greater than 400m, then this is the place for you. These sessions aim to simultaneously improve your stroke technique and swim fitness by using Critical Swim Speed (CSS) training. We will do specific fitness testing to determine your personal CSS pace and re-test regularly to monitor your pace and progress. With improved technique and swim fitness, you will find you can maintain good form for longer periods of time and this results in swimming faster and more efficiently on race day. Tempo trainers are used during these classes but are not required.
- Technique Endurance: These sessions are a great way to keep your technique tuned up while you focus on improving your endurance and are a great compliment to a weekly CSS development workout. Technique Endurance sessions are a happy medium between Pure Technique sessions and the longer, harder “Red Mist” endurance sessions. You can expect some drill work, longer aerobic intervals, and feedback on your stroke during these sessions. Tempo trainers are used during these classes but are not required.
- Red Mist: The infamous Swim Smooth “Red Mist” session is the hardest and longest session of the week. Distance covered usually ranges between 4,000-6,000m. This 90-minute swim is the cornerstone of the Ironman and 70.3 crew given how good it is at preparing you for these distances. Can you hold off the “Red Mist” from descending on you when you’re not feeling your best? You can expect feedback during these sessions on how well you are sticking to your targets and an excited coach urging you on under pressure.
1 – 2 – 1 Video Analysis / Stroke Correction Sessions
- With Certified Swim Smooth Coach, Mary Jessey
- Offered daily, various locations and various times available
- Must book at least 1 week in advance
- filming, stroke analysis, correction work in the pool
- takeaway USB with recorded stroke analysis for future reference
- 1-month unlimited access to the Swim Smooth Guru App
1 – 2 – 1 Video Analysis / Stroke correction session pricing
- 75 minute session $175 + GST
- 120 minute session $250 + GST
- 60 minute follow up sessions $135 + GST
- Facility Access Included
Private Swim Instruction
- 60-minute private session in the pool or open water. (Filming not included)
- 3 x 60-minute sessions
- Learn to swim
- Tune up your stroke
Private / Semi-Private Swim Instruction pricing
- Private sessions $100 + GST
- Semi-private (2 swimmers) $150 + GST
- 3 pack bundle $275 + GST
- Facility access included
Open Water Sessions:
- May-August (Group Sessions)
- June -August: Private / Semi-private sessions available upon request